Friday 31 March 2017

March 2017 by the Numbers

Why 'By the Numbers'?
While I'm much more concerned with quality as opposed to quantity, sometimes it's just fun to look back and reflect on what you've done in a specific window of time. Taking a look at what you've done often might be telling . . . here's to hoping that we engage in joyous activities regularly, and perhaps we can learn something from reflecting on how we've spent some of our time, and make changes if need be accordingly. The overall hope here is to celebrate the smaller joys in life, enjoying a measure of gratitude for the everyday and commonplace, as well as the rare and extraordinary.

March 2017 by the numbers:



- One sweet little pioneer and her Mom (that's me!) were thrilled to get to share in another wonderful school field trip together, this time to the Joseph Schneider Haus.



- 150 years of Canada ready to be celebrated with the arrival of our free 2017 Parks Canada Discovery Pass. 
You too can get yours at http://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=22953&urlLangId=-1&productId=524528




- One toast to the still surreal fact that the girls are old enough to stay on their own once in a while! M and I enjoyed a beautiful though chilly walk as we snuck out for Sunday morning coffees. 



- Two spoons and one incredible dessert. Affogato is quickly climbing towards the top of my list of favourite treats. The only reason I shared this amazing blend of ice cream doused with a shot of hot espresso is because I was already so full from dinner. Next time: dessert first!



- Two days of great racing for both of my little swimmers at the Waterloo Region Challenge Cup. Highlights included: Four never-before-swum races for E, and all P.B.s for her; Several P.B.s and a sought-after Ontario Festival qualifying time for H; and the simple fact that both of my girls were on the SAME pool deck, on the SAME day, at the SAME time - miracles never cease!




- Seven days in sunny Florida spent with my girlies and my parents.



- Two visits to the Manatee Viewing Centre in Apollo Beach were in order, as the girls so loved petting the stingrays at Cowshead Cove. Countless manatee were also spied in the shallow, warm waters of the bay, and this free attraction has definitely been added to the list of places to revisit during future trips to this area of Florida.



- Top Ten-voted beach in North America by numerous sources, Siesta Beach in Siesta Key, Florida boasts mile upon mile of deep, white powdery sand. Gorgeous! Fun stats: 2017 Travelers' Choice Trip Advisor Award results: Siesta Beach voted #1 U.S. beach; #5 on the best beach in the world list!




- Five of us attended a pre-season baseball game between the Grapefruit League's Baltimore Orioles and the Pittsburgh Pirates. The stadium's vibe was much fun, and the scorching temperatures had us all ready to jump into the pool with our clothes on upon arriving back at the house!



- Four friends catching up over wine during a lovely gals' evening out.



- Tens of thousands of cans used and donated in the Food Bank's annual CANstruction event. We happily admired them all and voted on our favourites - what a great way to raise food and funds for a worthy cause!



- One fabulous sleepover visit with two dear friends whom we never see often enough, but with whom we always easily pick up just where we left off.



- Six years can make a big difference at times, and at other times, not so much!




- Two lovely pieces created by my littlest artist, who was inspired by Lawren Harris and Grandma Moses.



 - Three friends shared a great eve of dancing and catching up.



- Two Spring cups at Starbucks to sweeten the deal during a nearly ten km. walk with a good pal.



- Three cuties all set to see 'Beauty and the Beast' after many months of anticipation . . . I thoroughly enjoyed it, too!



- Twenty wonderful grade threes, including my own mighty mite, worked diligently with me as we sculpted with clay during several school visits this month. So much fun getting to be the volunteer Mom!



- Four of us put on these spiffy shoes and had a great time bowling, something I haven't done in years. Great family fun!



- Sixty minutes was all the time we had to find Great Aunt Gertrude's Gazillions and escape her house before the wrecking ball hit! The four of us - intrepid puzzlers that we are - had a fabulous time trying to break the codes and uncover the secrets as a team at the Ultimate Escape. This was our first-ever attempt at this kind of adventure, but will surely not be our last! 



- Two of my favourite people headed out for a ride together on my recommendation, and thoroughly enjoyed their time together before being ushered home by the rain.



- Several hours spent darning - yes, you read correctly, darning!! And I had a surprisingly good time doing it! Kind of refreshing to put my practically non-existent home-ec skills to use, and very satisfying to put a serious dent in the basket of holey socks and tights that has slowly but surely filled up over time. Waste not, want not!



- Two of my very favourite people on the planet are growing up incredibly quickly! As so many parents, teachers, caregivers, grandparents, etc. do, I'm sure, I just gaze at them in wonder sometimes, awash in amazement at the wondrous little people they are.



- Two mugs of hot cocoa, with ten marshmallows apiece - these things matter! - for my little munchkins who trudged home amidst flurries on a Canadian spring day . . . 16 degrees and sunny on one day and negative temperatures with blustery winds on the next seems to be par for the course for us these days.



- Five days to share with one of my dearest friends is just around the corner as I get ready to head out to New Brunswick to visit her and her family - including a new baby girl! I can't wait! As I tend to do during my travels, I will be unplugged from my blog during this time and look forward to reconnecting upon my return.



I wish you all a fantastic month ahead, and hope that Spring's arrival is bringing you all many opportunities to savour those wondrously powerful joys that come in small, everyday moments.




No comments:

Post a Comment