Friday 7 October 2016

B-G Unplugged

I am heading off on a roadtrip with a dear friend today, our destination an 1840's renovated New England farmhouse overlooking the hills of coastal Maine. There we will participate in a week-long yoga and meditation retreat. I am both vibrating with excitement and prepared to be challenged and humbled in a way that I've never been before.

We will be following what looks to be a fairly regimented daily schedule, including four yoga/meditation sessions which are interspersed with three meals and two blocks of personal time. And yes, this is a silent retreat. Yup, silent. Quiet. Hushed. Still. Inaudible, Noiseless. You got it; there won't be a lot of idle chitchat going on. I'm both looking forward to this "social silence", and am somewhat fearful of it. How does one sit through a meal with people, a normally very social situation, without speaking to them? Will the voices in my head simply take over for the lack of actual audible voices around me?? The answer may well come from listening to the silence, and to the wonder which just might be lying in wait for me there.Time will tell.

An ironic aspect of my choice of dates for this retreat is that I would normally be attending a vastly different event on our arrival day. Yes, though this year the second weekend in October will see me submersing myself in "a container of shared silence", delving into self-inquiry and restorative poses, were I back home I would be going Oktoberfesting with a great crew of friends with whom this has been an annual tradition for quite a number of years! The friend with whom I'm traveling and I had to chuckle when I first noted this troubling point of the retreat's date. Hmmm, I mused, shall I seek inner peace and life's deeper meaning in silence, or go festing, with all of its drunken revelry and blaring polka tunes? I do love that my life's seesaw offers up both of these opportunities and experiences. After all, it's all about balance, right :)

To check out where I'll be and get a glimpse into what I might be doing, here's the link for the Rolling Meadows Yoga and Meditation Retreat Centre:

http://rollingmeadowsretreat.com/

I will be away for a full week, and will also be 'unplugged' during this time. The retreat is essentially a device-free zone, and I will have limited to no contact with anyone other than the other participants and our leaders. As a result, I will not be posting anything new for the next week, nor likely for a few days after getting back; I'll surely need some time to ease back into a world of voices and will be drinking up my family in copious doses! Please take the time to catch up on previous posts and begin any dialogue you wish through the comments option. I look forward to sharing the details of my experience when I return.
Namaste

My wonders: Have you ever participated in a yoga and/or meditation retreat of any kind? What was your experience? If you haven't yet, would you be interested in attending such a retreat?

4 comments:

  1. I went to a yoga type class at Goodlife twice. It was so different than anything I've experienced, kind of like a first order approximation of your silent retreat.

    I think my kids in particular need to go to one of these "silent retreats". LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, you just may be on to something here: silent retreats for our kids! Can you even imagine?! Your comment had me laughing out loud, for sure :)
      As for the yoga end of things, there are so many different kinds of experiences you can have. I referred to some in my very first post under the 'Yoga & Mindfulness' tab, including hot yoga vs. the more traditional type. Some classes have a purely 'exercise' feel, while others combine the physical poses with a more mindful/meditative slant. Feeling some form of positive connection with the instructor is also integral, in my experience. The retreat I just returned from presented us with a wide variety of styles over the course of the week, rather like a sample platter of experiences, which was nice, as you could try different things and feel what resonated with you, personally. I highly recommend the practice as a means of bringing together body, mind and breath.

      Delete
  2. Julie you know that yoga is a huge part of my life. But for me, when I'm teaching I find it very difficult to find the inner peace that comes from a yoga practice. I find that at the end of a crazy day and busy week I often "retreat" to the comfort of my couch or bedroom and simply sit.
    Most recently I've realized how much I crave silence and found a perfect escape right here in Waterloo. An hour and a half in a float tank seems to help me restore! Thanks for sharing! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and engaging, Anita. I do indeed know what an important part of your life it is, my dear yoga goddess! Teaching would surely put a much different spin on the experience. I find that, even as a participant, the "inner peace" bit doesn't come from the yoga practice for me, either. I enjoy it, and it can (depending on the style) relax me, particularly when doing restorative poses. For me, the "inner peace" experience for me is more apt to happen through meditation.
      As for retreating . . . I love to retreat for walks in nearby woods or down by Kaufman's Flats, as nature nourishes me. Do tell me more about this float tank . . . qu'est-ce que c'est???
      ~ Julie

      Delete